Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Disabled parking rules should be enforced

(From UK)
I Sympathise with Jane Ogilvie and Paula Caulton over their problems with Blue Badge parking (Letters January 1 and January 7) Unlike them I have never felt discriminated against or asked why I am parking there.
I actually look disabled as I am an elderly a wheelchair user with one leg.
For me it is a necessity to park in a Blue Badge bay and like Jane and Paula I have problems when these bays are abused by people without a Blue Badge because it prevents me from shopping independently.
Today, thanks to the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act, disabled people are now being treated as equal members of society. We have dropped kerbs, automatic doors, wide shopping aisles, lifts, etc.
The service provider is at last beginning to value the customer with a disability, but not yet realising how important it is to be able to park their car. The spending power of the customers with disabilities is £70bn so why not help us spend it?
Monitor disabled parking bays and fine people using them without a Blue Badge.
John Coxhead.

No comments: