Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Disabled Artist Gets Inside Her Own Head

This painting by California artist Katherine Sherwood contains surprising medical content.

Some of the blue and white swirls behind a mystical medieval symbol are not painted on: They're actually an angiogram of blood vessels in the artist's brain.

Even before a brain hemorrhage paralyzed her right side 10 years ago, Sherwood was interested in depicting the brain. But after the event, Sherwood started incorporating her angiograms into her art as a form of personal and occupational therapy.

It took her six months to learn how to paint with her left hand and to regain the stamina to do so. "When I did return to the studio, I knew my angiograms were the way into working again. They could stand in for me, my blood, my brain," Sherwood says.

Eleven of Sherwood's works are on display in her show "Golgi's Door" through Feb. 22 at the National Academy of Sciences, 2100 C St. NW.

Source: Washington Post

1 comment:

palmcop said...

This will not have effect as a matter of fact, that's what I suppose.